Military veterans are you looking to transition soon? Stop just talking about your plans and take action. Do what is necessary to prepare for your pathway to success with no stress.
1. Complete your pre-separation counseling, sign up for TAPS and attend at least 2 years out for retirees and 1 year for separates.
2. Start preparing financially to pay off bills and build your savings.
3. Schedule medical appointments and document any and all medical ailments. Even if it is minor like allergies.
4. Request copies of your medical records at least three months out and start preparing to file your medical disability claim via a Veteran Service Org like VFW.
5. Research the requirements for any desired career. Ensure you can check off the experience, education, certifications, and any special skills needed. If not seek the additional training/skills.
6. Start attending job fairs and network with recruiters. Make sure you have an updated resume. Be sure to get the recruiters business cards and add them via Linked In. Follow up with the recruiter on job opportunities.
7. Create a Linked In profile and start joining groups that match your career interest.
8. If you plan to attend college. It is never too early to start. Sign up and get your degree program started or finish it out.
9. Last but not least….relax. You made your decision and can be confident that your transition will be smooth if you prepare purposefully.