Self-Employed Workers! You are eligible to apply for Unemployment. This includes: Cosmetologists, Barbers, Tattoo Artists, Lyft Drivers, and other Freelancers.
File your claim for MD here: https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/uibenefits.shtml
Other States seek info to file here: Unemployment Insurance Relief During COVID-19 Outbreak | U.S. Department of Labor
Here Are Some Key Takeaways:
* Unemployment for self-employed workers is a new benefit in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
* You can apply for unemployment benefits through your state’s unemployment agency website.
* Applications May Vary By State.
* Once you get into the application there are some questions where you can state that you are self-employed, reasons you are unemployed etc. For example select the option of a “public health disaster.”
* Apply for conventional unemployment and fill the online for out completely. You may be provided a number to call and speak to a state rep about “Pandemic Unemployment Assistance” (the new unemployment for self-employed workers). You’ll need your tax info from 2018 and 2019. You can apply online or call and do it over the phone. It takes time but it‘s worth it!
* The CARES Act allows state unemployment agencies to work with the federal government benefits to help streamline the application process. Visit your state unemployment agency website and sign up for benefits as you normally would, federal benefits will automatically be added to your claim.
* Some states are not prepared for self-employed applications so be patient and keep trying!
* Talk to a CPA or financial advisor if you have any specific questions about your finances.
For personalized assistance or questions:
Contact Ebony Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org